I listen to a lot of podcasts. My secret to doing this? Listening at 2x speed.
Apart from the few podcasts at the bottom of the page, I listen to every single one of these podcasts, and have only skipped a few episodes of selected shows (usually where the content was too old).
How do I do it? I listen to most at 2x speed. You’ll be amazed how slow people can talk, and how much wasted time is included in recording. I also listen when I’m doing other things. I’ve training myself to listen for keywords and snippets I can take away. It’s always there to rewind if needed. Some show I site focus 100% on, but a lot of the news and general discussion show can run happily in the background.
I keep wanting to remove shows from my list but almost every episode of every show has at least one nugget of information or something that makes me think.
I only listen to what I enjoy, but shows with (★) are my absolute top picks.
Programming & Software Development
- .NET Rocks! ★ – One of the grandaddy’s of podcasts. Hosted by Karl Franklin and Richard Campbell, legends in the Microsoft development work. Interviews docused on Microsoft/.NET development technologies but also covering a wider range of current topics in web, apps and other languages.
- Hanselminutes – Fresh Talk and Tech for Developers – Interviews by Scott Hanseleman, another legend in the Microsoft development community.
- RunAs Radio (IT/Operations focused) – Hosted by Richard Cambell of “.NET Rocks!“. Interviews focusing on IT, Cloud and operations.
- Herding Code – A technology podcast with Scott Allen, Kevin Dente, Scott Koon and Jon Galloway (big OG names in the Microsoft community).
Information Security/Privacy News & Topics
- Risky Business ★ – Must listen to weekly security news and sponsor interviews from Australian security journalist Patrick Gray.
- Firewalls Don’t Stop Dragons Podcast – Weekly security news and interviews. Good for a general audience with some technical knowledge but no deep understanding required.
- Secure Digital Life (Audio)
- Hackable? – A great podcast for every day people, diving into security and privacy topics in an experimental way (usually an experiment on the host) that everyone can enjoy and learn from.
- Naked Security Podcast
- The Threatpost Podcast
- Recorded Future – Inside Threat Intelligence for Cyber Security
- Darknet Diaries (“True stories from the dark side of the Internet”) ★ – Masterfully produced stories about cyber security, told by Jack Rhysider (who is music to the ears). One of the few podcasts I listen to a 1x speed.
- Malicious Life
- SANS Internet Stormcenter Daily Network/Cyber Security and Information Security
- Security Now
- Hacking Humans
- Think Like a Hacker with Wordfence
- SECTION 9 Cyber Security
- Paul’s Security Weekly
- Smashing Security
- The Privacy, Security, & OSINT Show
- Defensive Security Podcast – Malware, Hacking, Cyber Security & Infosec
- Cyber Tales – Story behind cyber security stories
- IRL – Online Life Is Real Life
- National Cyber Security Radio By Gregory Evans
- Cyber Security Sauna
- DevSecOps Podcast Series
- The Daily Swig
Technology: News, Discussion and Related
- Pivot ★ – Silicon Valley tech reporter Kara Swisher and Professor Scott Galloway talk technology and business twice per week. Fun, raw, honest and thoughtful.
- Recode Decode ★ – Kara Swisher’s own podcast within technology related interviews in tech, business and politics (US).
- Download This Show – ABC Radio National – Australian weekly technology show covering recent topics of interest in tech.
- Reply All ☆ – Sensationally produced show with a slant toward tech but always a whole lot of fun, interesting, quirky and unexpected.
- Screaming in the Cloud
- Ditching Hourly ★ – Jonothan Stark talks getting rid of hourly pricing and moving to value pricing. Ex developer and devs are the audience.
- The Business of Authority ★ – Jonothan Stark of “Ditching Hourly” and Rochelle Moulton talk business and being an authority.
- Distributed, with Matt Mullenweg – Matt Mullenweg of WordPress fame talks about and interviews people on the topic of distributed (remote) working.
- After Hours (also https://harvardafterhours.com/) ★ – A great weekly show from Harvard Business Review with the hosts discussing recent business topics.
- The Journal.
- HBR IdeaCast
- Works for Me
- Land of the Giants
- The Soul of Enterprise: Business in the Knowledge Economy
- Think Like A CEO
Big Thinking and Interviews
- The Tim Feriss Show ★ – By Tim Ferriss of “The 4 Hour Work Week” fame, he “deconstructs world-class performers from eclectic areas (investing, sports, business, art, etc.) to extract the tactics, tools, and routines you can use. This includes favorite books, morning routines, exercise habits, time-management tricks, and much more.”
- The James Altucher Show ★ – Serial entrepreneur and author James Altucher interviews (long form) authors, artists, innovators, and peak performers from around the world.
- The Madness Continues – Discovered via The James Altucher Show.
- Revisionist History – Serial show by author Malcolm Gladwell, “each week for 10 weeks, Revisionist History will go back and reinterpret something from the past: an event, a person, an idea. Something overlooked. Something misunderstood.”
- Your Undivided Attention
- You Too with Mike Bullard ★ – Interesting long-form interviews.
Culture & Other
- Function with Anil Dash
- You’re Dead To Me
- Recode Media
- Stephen Fry’s Great Leap Years
- The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos
Good podcasts that left the list
- Too Embarrassed to Ask
- Big Questions with Cal Fussman
- Tim Ferriss’ Tribe of Mentors (and the book website)
- Freakonomics Radio
- Cyber Security Weekly Podcast – Recording quality wasn’t that high (some guest accents were too hard as well) and I couldn’t listen at 2x speed.
For Future Listening (if I ever have time again)
- Down the Security Rabbithole Podcast
- My Dad Wrote a Porno
- LeVar Burton Reads – Recommended to me by a good friend.
- The MFCEO Project – Business related. A good podcast, but it’s off the priority list only due to time available.
- Data Breach Today Podcast – InfoSec related. Dropped off my priority list due to lack of time.