General Tools, Apps, Services
- F.lux – Turn on “night light” in Windows to reduce blue light and eye strain.
- GSuite – Google email, documents, and communications.
- ShareX (Windows) – Screen capture for Windows.
- VeraCrypt – Encrypted drives and file-base virtual drives.
- Dropbox – File backup and sharing.
- Sync.com – Like Dropbox but encrypted in the cloud.
- Pocket Casts – Android Podcast player.
- Audible – Audio books. An Amazon service.
ColorNote – Android notepad with syncing to Windows app version.
- Standard Notes – Cross-platform (with sync), full-encrypted notes application. This has replaced ColorNote. I have the premium account and use some of the advanced editors.
- Microsoft ToDo – A simple To Do app for my daily task list. With cross-platform syncing.
- Blinkist – Non-fiction books distilled down to key concepts.
- Pocket – Save things for reading later.
- LastPass – Password manager. You need this or 1Password, Dashlane, Bitwarden or other password manager.
- Firefox – Web browser. More performant and privacy focused than Google Chrome.
- Microsoft Edge – The new Chromium based version that came out in January 2020. Basically the same same as Google Chrome but faster and… nicer.
Software Development Tools
- Visual Studio Code – My IDE/code editor of choice.
- Notepad++ – Powerful notepad/text editor.
- Visual Studio – The grandaddy of software development IDEs. I still use it for .NET development.
- GitKraken – GUI Git client. It’s a paid product but cheap yearly cost for what you get.
- Trello – Lightweight task management.
- Clubhouse – Task and project management for software development teams.
- Slack – Communicate with your team.
- Google Chrome – Web browser. Has the best developer console for testing and debugging front-end web development.
- W3.CSS – Pure CSS “utility” framework to quickly and easily add styling to your web site/app for common UI paradigms (like Bootstrap but very lightweight).
- Bootstrap – Popular “utility” framework to quickly and easily add styling to your web site/app for common UI paradigms.
- Font Awesome – Add icon fonts to your web site/app.
- VueJS – Really easy to learn, use and integrate front-end web framework. Up there with Angular and React, but easier and faster to work with.